Tuesday, July 12, 2011

I Was Lost, But Now, Not So Much

Once upon a time, there was a little girl who was told that she wasn't really a little girl. No wonder I was lost. So this little girl had to pretend to be a boy, and she could never tell anyone that she was really a girl because God didn't like that.

Now, it is important to know that the people in her life truly did not understand that she was really a little girl, they loved her very much, and they were trying to do what they thought was right.

In the 1960s, there was little understanding about transgenderism. I spent hours and hours in the stairwell of our home, along which the Encyclopedia Britannica set was kept, searching for an explanation of what was wrong with me. No wonder I was lost? It's a wonder that any transgender children of the era were able to survive at all.

There are many situations where children grow up wondering what is wrong with them. Few are the ones that can bring out such a violent social reaction as not fitting in the boy/girl binary. We are coming up on the one year anniversary of the death of Roy Jones. He was 17 months old when his mother's live-in boyfriend decided his behavior was too effeminate, and proceeded to beat him to death. The man later told police that he was just trying to get him to act like a little boy.

Under what circumstances, would a transgender child believe that it is ok to be who they are? It's not 1960 anymore. Information about transgenderism is available at the click if a mouse. Yet many are still proclaiming that God doesn't like that. But many are dispelling the lie.

It is not difficult for me to identify the single most destructive factor in my being lost for so long. Those who preach the evil of LGBT are responsible for much pain, even death.

So now I know that God loves me, always loved me. Now I am blessed to be able to share that truth, in the hope that someone will see, someone will hear. Now I know that I am asked to pray for those who persecute me. I try. I was lost, but now, not so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment